MONMOUTH WRAPS UP NON-CONFERENCE SLATE WITH SETBACK AT NO. 9 NORTH CAROLINA
· “Roy Williams treats me like I’m one of his sons, he has taken care of me since I was a little kid and I’m the luckiest guy that in 1987, Coach Smith gave me a scholarship and it’s made me have a great, great, great life.” –head coach King Rice
· “We have to be ready to go… we know we have a big game against Rider in three days and we will be ready to play.” –head coach King Rice
· Rice starred at North Carolina from 1987-91, leading the Heels to the 1991 NCAA Final Four.
· He currently ranks sixth in UNC history in assists and fifth in assist to turnover ratio.
· Chris Brady notched his 600th career point with a second-half three pointer from the corner.
· Monmouth had a nine-game winning streak snapped.
· MU finishes the non-conference slate 8-3, matching last season’s eight victories out of league.
· King Rice is now 0-2 against his alma mater.
· Monmouth falls to 0-2 against ACC opponents this year, and 10-1 against everyone else.
· Justin Robinson notched his 400th career assist.
· Monmouth had 14 fast break points, compared to four for UNC.
· The Hawks also forced 17 Tar Heel turnovers, while committing 13.
· Monmouth was 9-28 from three point range, while UNC was 7-20.
· There were 56 combined fouls called in the game, including 37 after halftime.
· The Hawks held UNC to 1-7 from deep in the second half.
· Four Hawks went into double digits, including Austin Tilghman for the second game in a row.
· Justin Robinson scored all 16 of his points in the first half.
· Eight Hawks totaled at least four rebounds.
· North Carolina’s Justin Jackson led all scorers with 28 points and a career-best six threes.
· Kennedy Meeks notched a double-double with 17 points and 12 boards.
Monmouth continues Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference play on Saturday, December 31st. The 1 PM game is set to air on ESPN3.