BOWLING FINISHES EIGHTH AT MID-WINTER CLASSIC
Monmouth: 8th of 17, 7-6 record
JONESBORO, AR – The Monmouth University women’s bowling team defeated a pair of top-10 opponents en route to an eighth-place finish at the 2017 Mid-Winter Classic over the weekend at Hijinx Family Entertainment Center.
The Hawks went 7-6 over the three-day event, including a 3-2 record in Traditional play on Saturday, before falling in the championship bracket to the University of Maryland Eastern Shore.
Jackie Evans (197.60) led the Hawks individually, finishing in seventh overall, across five traditional games.
NOTES & QUOTES
"We fell short of our goals, but still were able to pull out a winning record. We will be focusing on spares and shot repeatability this week at practice as we prepare for the KU invite."
– Director of Bowling Karen Grygiel
- The No. 9 ranked Hawks defeated No. 8 Central Missouri in traditional format (881-876) and then again 4-3 in Sunday’s championship bracket, and also topped No. 6 Vanderbilt, Grygiel’s alma mater, by a 930-892 final score in a traditional match.
- The three top-10 victories give the Hawks seven top-10 wins during the 2016-17 season.
- Evans turned in her fourth top-10 individual performance of the season
- Monmouth participated in the Mid-Winter Classic for the first time in program history
- Monmouth’s highest pin total in baker format was 999 in its Convincing win over Maryville.
- Monmouth’s largest margin of victory was 149 in the win over the Saints (999-850).
- Haley Solberg led Monmouth with a 221 high game in traditional match play.
- Over 70 games this weekend, Monmouth averaged 175.2 pins per game, which ranked ninth overall
Monmouth returns to the lanes next weekend at the KU Invite at Heister Lanes in Reading, PA.