MENíS TENNIS DROPS SPRING SEASON OPENER AT TEMPLE
PHILADELPHIA, PA – The Monmouth University men’s tennis team opened the 2017 spring season at Temple University’s Legacy Tennis Center. The Hawks fell to the Owls, 6-1, with Nicola Pipoli (Polignano a Mare, Italy/Liceo Scientifico Sante Simone) getting the 6-1, 6-2 win at No. 2. Monmouth will continue play next Sunday, when it travels to Raleigh, NC for matches against North Carolina State and Elon.
NOTES AND QUOTES
-Pipoli played the first doubles match with teammate Przemyslaw Filipek (Bedzin, Poland/Second Lo [Silesia]), falling to Temple’s duo of Kapshuk and Dorash, 8-4.
-Monmouth was defeated in the next two doubles matches, with Ale Gomez Estrada and Christian Viera falling 8-4, and Alberto Giuffrida and Richard Chen falling 8-4.
-To open up singles play, Filipek was defeated by Temple’s Kapshuk, 6-2, 6-2.
-Pipoli earned the lone Hawks win against Temple’s Bohorquez by a score of 6-1, 6-2.
-Monmouth dropped the remaining matches, with Gomez Estrada narrowly losing the first set to Mayer, 6-4. Giuffrida and Dahiya also lost close sets on the night at 6-4.
1. Kapshuk/Dorash vs Filipek/Pipoli, 8-4 (Temple)
2. Mayer/Sevel vs Gomez/Vieira, 8-5 (Temple)
3. Naran/Bohorquez vs Giuffrida/Chen, 8-4 (Temple)
1. Kapshuk vs Filipek, 6-2, 6-2 (Temple)
2. Bohorquez vs Pipoli, 6-1, 6-2 (Monmouth)
3. Mayer vs Gomez, 6-4, 6-2 (Temple)
4. Sevel vs Vieira, 6-1, 6-2 (Temple)
5. Dorash vs Giuffrida, 6-4, 6-4 (Temple)
6. Biscoveanu vs Dahiya, 6-1, 6-4 (Temple)
7. Naran vs Chen, 8-5 (Temple)
The Hawks return to the court next Sunday for a pair of matches. At 10:00 AM, Monmouth will face North Carolina State, followed by a 1:00 PM match with Elon.