SWIMMING CLOSES 2016-17 SEASON AT MAAC CHAMPIONSHIPS
10. Monmouth 97.5
9. Monmouth 122
BUFFALO, NY – The Monmouth University men’s and women’s swimming teams wrapped up competition in the 2017 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Championships, hosted by Erie Community College, on Saturday evening.
The women’s team took ninth and improved upon last year’s finish at the MAAC Championships by totaling 122 points, 25 points higher than its 2016 total. Monmouth’s men’s team placed 10th with a score of 97.5 points, 7.5 points higher than a year ago.
NOTES & QUOTES
“Over the course of the MAAC Championships we had some outstanding performances. Individually, three men and two women qualified for the finals by placing in the top-16 of their events. The team showed a lot of improvement throughout the season and continued the momentum by finishing strong this week.”
- Monmouth head coach Matt Nunnally
- The women’s 400-yard freestyle relay team of freshman Bradie Keelan, freshman Ann Tompkins, junior Anne Skimmons and freshman Mary Emich placed sixth, Monmouth’s highest finish in school history.
- Freshman Austin D’Angelo, who set a new school record in the men’s 200-yard breaststroke prelims (2:09.66), beat his time Saturday night in the finals by touching the wall in 2:09.17, good for 12th place. Classmate Noah Babik finished just behind D’Angelo in the event, placing 13th with a time of 2:09.19.
- The women’s 200-yard breaststroke saw rookie Jaclyn Greening take 13th with a new school-record time of 2:33.08.
- Greening also qualified for the finals in the 100-yard breaststroke, finishing in 11th place with a time of 1:09.51
- Ann Tompkins placed 13th in the women’s 100-yard freestyle with a new school-record time of 53.93
- Greening, Tompkins, Skimmons and Brianna Pongrac set a new school record in the women’s 400-yard medley relay. Their combined time of 4:07.28 was good for ninth place.
- On Thursday, both Monmouth’s men’s and women’s 200-yard freestyle relay teams broke previous school records.
- The sixth-place women’s 400-yard freestyle relay team set a new school record, clocking in at 3:40.29 and shaved four seconds off the previous Monmouth record time.
- Noah Babik’s time of 2:09.19 in the 200-yard breaststroke was a new personal record.
- D’Angelo and Babik also swam well in the 100-yard breaststroke by both setting personal best times. D'Angelo took 10th in the event with a new school record of 57.90, while Babik was 15th with a PR of 58.88.
- The men’s 200-yard freestyle relay team hit the wall in 1:29.03, led by Yannick Lyons’ leadoff swim of 22.13, which set a school record. Michael Lanigan, Mitch Simmer and Billy Lyons completed the team.
- In the women’s 200-yard freestyle relay, Monmouth took seventh as Keelan, Tompkins, Skimmons and Emich secured sixth place with a time of 1:39.48