EARLY LEAD SENDS HOFSTRA PAST MEN'S LACROSSE
RV/- Hofstra 11 (1-0)
RV/RV Monmouth 9 (1-1)
HEMPSTEAD, NY – Hofstra jumped out to a 4-1 first-quarter lead and never trailed in an 11-9 victory over the Monmouth University men’s lacrosse team on Saturday afternoon at James M. Shuart Stadium.
Two first-quarter goals by Brendan Kavanagh helped the Pride secure the early lead and the home side went into halftime with an 8-3 cushion. The lead stretched to as many as six for Hofstra (9-3) and the Pride led 11-5 after the third quarter.
Monmouth outscored Hofstra 4-0 in the final 15 minutes, but the deficit was too much to overcome for the Hawks.
Freshman midfielder Justin Schwenk went 16-for-21 on faceoffs, sophomore attack Eamon Campbell scored twice and contributed an assist and senior goalkeeper Nick Hreshko made five saves for Monmouth.
NOTES & QUOTES
"Hats off to Coach Tierney and his staff; they were very well coached, did not give us anything easy and played a smart game. There is a lot of things we did well this afternoon and certainly a lot of positives to build on coming out of today's game but a few things we need to clean up before Tuesday. I was proud of our team's effort and execution in the second half but it proved to be too much to overcome after falling behind early.” - Head Coach Brian Fisher
- Monmouth’s program record seven-game road-winning streak was snapped
- Freshman Justin Schwenk won 15-of-21 faceoffs on the day, which tied the program record of 15 set by Keegan Teluk at Marist on March 19, 2016
- Schwenk also picked up eight ground balls, which also tied the program record
- Schwenk scored the first goal of his career
- Hofstra had three players score hat tricks; Ryan Tierney, Josh Byrne and Brenden Kavanagh. Byrne added three assists in the victory
- Hofstra converted both extra-man opportunities (2-2), while Monmouth was 2-for-6 in man-up chances
- The Hawks fell to 2-1 all-time with the uniform combination of matte gray helmets with midnight blue jerseys and shorts
- Senior goalkeeper Nick Hreshko served as an honorary captain for the second straight week
- The game was the first-ever meeting between the two teams
- The game was tied once (1-1) and Monmouth never held a lead in the game
- Campbell recorded the fifth multi-goal game of his career and extended his points streak to 13 consecutive games
- Redshirt junior Dylan Schulte scored for the fifth consecutive game and extended his points streak to 10 games
- Senior midfielder Tyler Keen scored once and increased his season total to five goals
- Senior midfielder Zack Schleicher scored for the second straight game and now has four goals on the season
- Eric Berger’s two assists equaled his career high and marked the fourth time he has had two assists in a game
- Sophomore Griffin Figel scored for the second consecutive game
- Monmouth outshot Hofstra 41-26, including 20-16 in shots on goal
- Monmouth has outscored its opponents 9-3 in the fourth quarter this season
Monmouth will host Wagner in its 2017 home opener on Tuesday afternoon. Opening faceoff from Hesse Field on The Great Lawn is set for 3 p.m.