WOMEN'S LACROSSE DROPS HOME OPENER TO BUCKNELL, 14-10
WEST LONG BRANCH, NJ- Bucknell University (3-1) tallied four straight goals to start the game to outpace Monmouth University’s (1-3) women’s lacrosse team, eventually winning 14-10 on Wednesday night.
Monmouth rallied to score six second half goals while holding Bucknell to five but MU couldn’t complete the comeback. Bison attacker Sarah Galzerano finished with a game-high seven points on five goals and two assists. Hawk senior Olivia Higson (Cheadle Hulme, England/Withington Girls’ School) led Monmouth with four goals with freshman Allison Turturro (Sound Beach, NY/Miller Place) scoring two goals and an assist for three points.
The Bison led 9-4 at halftime then scored the first goal of the second half before the two teams traded goals over the next twenty minutes. The Hawks closed out the final seven minutes of the game with three straight goals but could not overcome the four goal deficit.
NOTES AND QUOTES
“Bucknell has been doing what they have been doing all year, they have a good defense with a good goalie behind them. We didn’t execute our plan as well as them and they were able to get the win.”
Monmouth Head Coach Eileen Ghent
“We started attacking from different points and had movements down low instead of up top and that worked for a little while.” Eileen Ghent on the second half offense
· Turturro’s three points marked the first multi-point game of her career and her first multi-goal game of her career
· Both Riley Brager and Steph Dellituri played in net for the Hawks
· The series between the two teams is now tied at 4-4 while the Hawks are 2-2 at home against Bucknell
· Higson now leads the Hawks with 14 goals
· Monmouth’s next game will come in a week against Drexel on the Great Lawn. That game is slated for ESPN3
· MU has now outscored opponents 8-0 in the final seven minutes of each of its last two games
· Monmouth was 3-of-3 on free position attempts, with Turturro’s two goals coming from the 8 meter
· Senior Alex Stambaugh had two assists but was relentless defensively with a game-high (and career-high) three caused turnovers
· Senior Claudia LaMarca had a goal and an assist on three shots
· The teams tied in shots 24-24 and draw controls 13-13
· Bucknell’s two goalies combined for eight saves
Monmouth will host Drexel next Wednesday at 3 PM