MEN'S LACROSSE SMOTHERS MARIST
Monmouth 7 (6-3, 3-0 MAAC)
Marist 2 (5-5, 0-2 MAAC)
POUGHKEEPSIE, NY – The Monmouth University men’s lacrosse team remained undefeated in MAAC play with a dominant defensive performance as it defeated Marist 7-2 on Saturday night at Tenney Stadium.
Tyler Keen scored twice, Nick Hreshko made 13 saves and the Hawks pressured Marist into 12 turnovers in the victory.
Monmouth led from start to finish and held Marist scoreless until the 2:20 mark of the third quarter. The Hawks built a 4-0 lead before the Red Foxes got on the board, and responded with two more goals and three of the final four to put the game out of reach.
NOTES & QUOTES
“Tonight's win was a total team effort that stemmed from a great week of preparation. Our scout group was on point this week and really helped our defense prepare for their action. Whenever you hold a team to a low number you feel good about the effort, but our offense did a good job as well and kept pressure on them all night.”
- Head Coach Brian Fisher
- Monmouth set a new program record for goals allowed (2).
- The Hawks held Marist scoreless in the first half.
- It was the fourth and fifth times this season Monmouth has held an opponent scoreless in a quarter and the first time Monmouth has kept an opponent off the scoreboard in a half this year.
- The last time MU held a team scoreless in a half was March 15, 2016 against VMI.
- The win was Monmouth’s first against Marist (previously 0-5).
- Monmouth is 3-0 in MAAC play for the first time in program history.
- Monmouth moved to 3-3 on the road this season.
- The win was Monmouth’s fourth straight MAAC regular season victory, dating back to last season.
- Monmouth moves at 6-3 through nine games for the second year in a row.
- The Hawks wore chrome helmets with midnight blue jerseys and white shorts. Monmouth is 2-0 when wearing that combination this season.
- The Hawks finished with a 41-21 advantage in shots.
- Bryce Wasserman scored his 14th goal of the season and became the second player ever to score 50 career goals, joining Chris Daly.
- Tyler Keen has a goal in nine consecutive games and a 12-game point streak. Keen leads the Hawks with 19 goals this season. He increased his career goal total to 38 with his ninth career multi-goal game.
- Anthony Sardo scored a man-up goal, his fourth of the season. All four of his goals have come on the man advantage, which equals the single-season Monmouth record (Dan Bloodgood – 2016 / Zach Johannes – 2015).
- Dylan Schulte scored a goal for the third consecutive game. Schulte has five goals on the year and 24 for his career.
- Schulte, Garrett Pfeifer and Justin Schwenk each picked up three ground balls.
- Eamon Campbell scored his sixth goal of the year and set up Sardo’s tally. It was Campbell’s 21st career goal.
- Zack Schleicher netted his fifth goal of 2017 and the 13th of his career.
- Nick Hreshko made 13 saves and has double digit saves in five straight games and six overall on the year.
Monmouth faces a quick turnaround when it plays a non-conference game at Lafayette on Tuesday night. Faceoff from Easton, PA is set for 7 p.m. and the game can be seen live on the Patriot League Network.