MEN'S LACROSSE RUNS PAST VMI FOR SIXTH STRAIGHT WIN
Monmouth 15 (9-3)
VMI 8 (2-9)
WEST LONG BRANCH, NJ – The Monmouth University men’s lacrosse scored twice in the opening 28 seconds and never looked back in a 15-8 victory over Virginia Military Institute on Monday afternoon at Hesse Field on The Great Lawn.
The Hawks led the Keydets 6-0 at the end of the first quarter and 10-1 at halftime to secure their sixth consecutive victory.
Dan Bloodgood, Bryce Wasserman and Tyler Keen each scored twice in the win as 12 different Monmouth players scored.
NOTES & QUOTES
“It was really good to see our guys focus, play hard, play with energy and keep this winning streak going. We’ve been talking about upholding our standard and keeping our priorities in order. That is athletics and academics in this last month and staying the course. To play well after a quick turnaround and have a lot of guys play is exciting for us.”
- Head Coach Brian Fisher
- Monmouth’s victory extends the program-record winning streak to six games.
- Monmouth improved to 9-3 on the season, its best 12-game start in four seasons.
- The nine victories are the most in a single season.
- Monmouth is 4-0 at home for the first time.
- It was the seventh time this season Monmouth has held an opponent scoreless in a quarter.
- Monmouth’s defense has held opponents under double digits in eight straight games.
- Justin Schwenk’s goal 14 seconds into the game is the fastest goal in program history.
- The Hawks wore midnight blue helmets with white jerseys shorts.
- Monmouth has beaten VMI in both of its all-time meetings.
- The Hawks close their non-conference slate with a 6-3 record.
- As a team, Monmouth is outscoring its opponents 66-38 over the six-game winning streak.
- Dan Bloodgood scored twice and has eight goals on the year. Bloodgood has 36 career goals following his ninth career and third straight multi-goal game.
- Tyler Keen has scored a goal in 11 straight games and a 13-game point streak. Keen leads the Hawks with 22 goals this season after his 10th multi-goal game. Keen’s 11-game goal scoring streak is tied for eighth in the NCAA.
- Bryce Wasserman extended his goal-scoring streak to 10 games with his 13th-career multi-goal game. The junior has 18 goals this season and 54 for his career.
- Rookie Anthony Sardo scored his fifth man-up goal of the season to set the Monmouth single-season record.
- Nick Hreshko (2 saves) and Mike Yanovitch (7 saves) each played a half in goal for the Hawks. Hreshko lowered his goals-against average to 7.22, which ranks fourth in the nation.
- Ryan Stevens scored his first-career goal and Kevin Murphy scored his first goal of the season. Murphy’s three points set a new career high (1G, 2A).
- Freshman midfielder Justin Schwenk went 8-for-12 at the faceoff X in the win.
- Griffin Figel netted his 11th goal of 2017 and the 14h of his career.
- Dylan Schulte scored a goal and has seven goals on the year and 26 for his career. Schulte also picked up his sixth assist of the season.
- Chandler Vanderbeek and Zach Clemente each have three goals this season after scoring once against VMI.
Monmouth resumes MAAC play on Saturday when it travels to Detroit Mercy. Opening faceoff is scheduled for 2 p.m. and the game will be broadcast on ESPN3 and the WatchESPN App.