MEN’S TENNIS SWEPT BY PENN STATE TO SNAP FIVE-MATCH WIN STREAK
UNIVERSITY PARK, PA – Following five straight wins, including sweeps over conference opponents Niagara, Fairfield, and Siena, the Monmouth University men’s tennis team was defeated by Penn State on Sunday, 7-0. Nicola Pipoli was edged at #1 singles by a score of 6-3, 6-4, while senior Przemyslaw Filipek was defeated at #2 singles, 7-5, 6-2. Ale Gomez Estrada had the same fate as Pipoli, falling at #3 singles, 6-3, 6-4. Freshman Sergio Martinez nearly won his first set, but was eventually defeated at #6 singles, 7-6, 6-1. Monmouth lost all three doubles matches, as Filipek and Gomez Estrada fought until the end before falling 7-6.
1. De La Bassetiere, C. (PSU) def. Pipoli, Nicola (MONM) 6-3, 6-4
2. Lakoseljac, C. (PSU) def. Filipek, Przemyslaw (MONM) 7-5, 6-2
3. Laaribi, Aws (PSU) def. Gomez Estrada, Ale (MONM) 6-3, 6-4
4. Antonopoulos, C. (PSU) def. Vieira, Christian (MONM) 6-3, 6-0
5. Lieb, Zach (PSU) def. Giuffrida, Alberto (MONM) 6-2, 6-3
6. Nemeth, Gabriel (PSU) def. Martinez, Sergio (MONM) 7-6, 6-1
The Hawks will host both non-conference opponent Ramapo and MAAC opponent Rider this Wednesday. Monmouth will take on Ramapo at 10:30 AM and Rider at 3:00 PM.