MEN'S TENNIS FALLS TO #2 VIRGINIA IN FIRST ROUND OF NCAA TOURNAMENT
CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA – After winning its second consecutive Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Championship, the Monmouth University men's tennis team was defeated by #2 Virginia in the first round of the NCAA Tournament, 4-0. The two-time defending national champion Cavaliers, earned two wins during the doubles portion to earn the point before winning three singles matches. Nicola Pipoli battled at #1 singles, as he fell in the first set 6-2 before the second set was unfinished. Senior Przemyslaw Filipek was defeated at #2 singles against the #14 ranked player in the country, 6-1, 6-0. At #3 singles, Ale Gomez Estrada's match was unfinished after Virginia won the first set, 6-4. Christian Vieira and Alberto Giuffrida were both defeated in the singles portion, and the Sergio Martinez contest was also unfinished at #6.
#2 Virginia 4, Monmouth 0
1. #91 Alexander Ritschard (VA) vs. Nicola Pipoli (MU) 6-2, 2-2, unfinished
2. #14 Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (VA) def. Przemyslaw Filipek (MU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Carl Soderlund (VA) vs. Ale Gomez Estrada (MU) 6-4, 4-2, unfinished
4. #40 Collin Altamirano (VA) def. Christian Vieira (MU) 6-0, 6-1
5. #109 J.C. Aragone (VA) def. Alberto Giuffrida (MU) 6-1, 6-1
6. #102 Henrik Wiersholm (VA) vs. Sergio Martinez (MU) 6-1, 5-1, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (5,2,4)
NCAA Men's Tennis Championship First Round
The Hawks end the season with a 13-12 (7-0 MAAC) record and their second consecutive conference title.