SWIMMING FALLS IN DUAL MEET TO IONA
Iona (M) - 166
Monmouth (M) (0-4, 0-2 MAAC) – 91
Iona (W) - 145
Monmouth (W) (0-4, 0-2 MAAC) - 92
WEST LONG BRANCH, NJ – The Monmouth University men’s and women’s swimming teams fell to visiting Iona in a dual meet on Friday evening at Steadman Natatorium.
NOTES & QUOTES
“It is exciting to see the team put forward a great effort. We had many outstanding swims and season-best times, which is a positive sign as we look toward the ECAC meet in early December. The team continues to progress and improve.”
- Monmouth head coach Matt Nunnally
-Freshman Jaclyn Greening claimed first-place in the women’s 100-yard breaststroke (1:12.12), and touched the wall first among the non-exhibition swimmers in the 100-yard IM (1:08.70). Greening’s finish in the 100-yard IM came in her first appearance in the event this season. She also finished third in the 200-yard breaststroke (2:40.16).
- Monmouth also placed second (Sasha Safarian – 1:10.80) and third (Julianna D’Arco – 1:22.09) in the women’s 100-yard IM.
- The Hawks occupied the top five spots in the men’s 100-yard IM, led by freshman Noah Babik’s time of 58.21. Austin D’Angelo (58.85), Billy Lyons (1:00.63), Jeremy Eletto (1:03.91) and Tamir Cohen (1:04.34) finished in that order.
- Sophomore Brianna Pongrac placed first in the women’s 200-yard backstroke, clocking in at 2:21.46.
- Junior Anne Skimmons won the women’s 100-yard butterfly with a time of 1:02.15.
- Monmouth claimed the top three spots in the men’s 100-yard butterfly, led by Eric Sorensen (55.56), Mitch Simmer (55.65) and Sriniram Narasimhan (58.12).
- Monmouth won both the men’s and women’s 400-yard freestyle relays. The Hawks took the top two positions in the women’s race and the top three spots in the men’s event.
-During the women’s 200-yard backstroke, Brianna Pongrac (2:21.46) set a new personal-best time, by nearly three seconds.
- The women’s 400-yard freestyle relay consisted of Anne Skimmons, Mary Emich, Bradie Keelan and Ann Tompkins and placed first with a time of 3:56.28.
- The men’s winning 400-yard freestyle relay team was made up of Michael Lanigan, Mitch Simmer, Billy Lyons and Frank Nicola. The quartet ended the race in 3:36.12.
Monmouth returns to the pool on Saturday, Nov. 19 at 1 p.m. The men’s team will host Manhattan, while the women’s team will compete against Manhattan and Siena.