BOWLING FALLS IN SECOND ROUND AT SOUTHLAND CHAMPIONSHIPS
Monmouth 2, Stephen F. Austin 1
Arkansas State 2, Monmouth 1
Tulane 2, Monmouth 1
JONESBORO, AR – The Monmouth University bowling team opened the 2017 Southland Bowling League Championships with a victory over Stephen F. Austin, before falling to Arkansas State and Tulane this weekend at Hijinx Bowling Center.
The SBL Championship, an eight-team, double-elimination tournament, uses a best of three match format. The opening match is a traditional five team match, followed by a Baker match scored by total pinfall. If the competing teams split the first two matches, a Best of Seven Baker Series is played to determine which team advances.
Monmouth was seeded fifth heading into the weekend, while Stephen F. Austin was fourth, Arkansas State entered as the number one seed and Tulane was sixth of the eight teams.
NOTES & QUOTES
"We started out with a great win over Stephen F. Austin, but we missed some opportunities to advance further than we had hoped. We will learn from this experience and continue to grow as a program."
– Director of Bowling Karen Grygiel
- Monmouth upended Stephen F. Austin in the traditional game, winning by a score of 982 to 856 behind Kaitlyn Reth’s 214, while Demi May (208) and Julie Bianco (202) also broke the 200-mark.
- Stephen F. Austin rallied in the baker game (943-902) to force a best-of-seven baker series.
- The defending national champions won the first two games of the series, before Monmouth reeled off four straight wins to advance.
- After dropping the first match against the top seed Arkansas State, MU topped the Red Wolves 949-852 to set up a best-of-seven baker series. Arkansas State advanced to the semifinals with a 4-1 victory.
- Tulane won the traditional match 924-909 in the Second Round of the Elimination Bracket.
- Monmouth came back to edge the Green Wave 940-912 in the Baker Format, but Tulane came away victorious with a 4-2 win in the best of seven series.
- The Hawks earned top 10 wins against No. 2 Arkansas State and No. 7 Stephen F. Austin in Baker format.
- Monmouth captured 13 victories over top-10 opponents in 2016-17.
- Vanderbilt defeated Arkansas State to win the 2017 Southland Bowling League Championship.