SAINT JOE'S KNOCKS OFF MEN’S LACROSSE IN OT
Saint Joseph’s 6 (3-3)
Monmouth 5 (3-3)
PHILADELPHIA, PA – Saint Joseph’s won the opening faceoff in overtime and Ray Vandergrift scored the game-winning goal for the home team in a 6-5 decision on Friday afternoon at Sweeney Field.
Monmouth jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first quarter and held a 3-2 lead at intermission.
Eric Berger scored early in the quarter to put Monmouth ahead 5-4, but 10 seconds later, Saint Joseph’s answered as Chris Blewitt scored to tie the game again with 13:20 remaining in the fourth quarter.
The Hawks were led offensively by junior attack Bryce Wasserman who scored twice and added an assist.
NOTES & QUOTES
- Saint Joseph’s won 13-of-15 faceoffs.
- MU goalie Nick Hreshko made 13 saves, two shy of his season and career high of 15 (Villanova).
- Saint Joe’s goalie T.J. Jones finished with 14 saves.
- Monmouth finished with a 31-28 advantage in shots.
- Saint Joseph’s improved to 4-0 all-time against Monmouth.
- The Hawks wore matte gray helmets with white jerseys and shorts.
- The Hawks fell to 1-3 all-time in overtime games.
- Monmouth dropped to 1-2 in one-goal games this season.
- Monmouth has used the same starting lineup in every game this season.
- Saint Joseph’s six goals marked a new season low for a Monmouth opponent.
- Bryce Wasserman has seven goals this season and 42 for his career.
- Tyler Keen has a goal in six consecutive games and a nine-game point streak. Keen leads the Hawks with 12 goals this season. He increased his career goal total to 31.
- Sophomore Griffin Figel scored for the second straight game and netted his fifth goal of the year and the eighth of his career.
- Eric Berger’s fourth quarter goal extended his points streak to eight games. Berger has four goals this year and 34 in his career.
- Dan Bloodgood assisted Berger’s goal and now has two assists this year.
Monmouth’s next game is Tuesday, March 14, when it hosts VMI at Hesse Field on The Great Lawn at 2 p.m.