SENIORS LEAD MENíS GOLF TO SIXTH PLACE FINISH AT LEHIGH
Lehigh Men’s Invitational
Dates: October 21-22, 2016
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Course: Grace Course at Saucon Valley CC (Black Tees)
Course Vitals: 7,091-yards, par-72
BETHLEHEM, PA – Battling cold temperatures, rain and high winds, the Monmouth University men’s golf team rallied to finish sixth at the Lehigh Invitational in its final event of the fall. Seniors Jesse Hazam (Mechanicsburg, PA/Mechanicsburg) and Tommy Whelan (Smithtown, NY/Smithtown West) led the way, finishing in the top-20, as MU shot 616 (306-310) over the two-day event.
Hazam took off seven shots with his second round score of 74, while Whelan compiled rounds of 75 and 80 as the duo both finish with a 36-hole score of 155, good for 20th overall. Junior Kyle Burke (West Sayville, NY/Sayville [Sacred Heart]) fired 77 and 79 to finish one stroke behind in 26th place and one shot in front of freshman Andy Stock (Danbury, CT/Danbury) who carded 80 and 77. Sophomore Drake Ferriter (Ramsey, NJ/Bergen Catholic) closed out the Hawks’ card with 74 and 85 to finish event with 159.
NOTES & QUOTES
“Even though the scores were high, I was really proud of our guys for coming back, playing well in the second round and were able to climb three spots going from ninth place to sixth, especially in the tough golf conditions. The team really worked hard and grinded out some good results.” –Head Coach Dennis Shea
- Monmouth finished three spots higher than it did in the same event last year.
- The Hawks finished tied or better than the five other MAAC schools in the event.
- Whelan, who finishes three tournaments with 155 this season, matches his low round of the year with his opening round 75.
- Hazam’s second round 74 matches his career-low, while his 155 is a season-best for a 36-hole tournament.
- Stock has teed off in eight of the Hawks’ 10 fall rounds and finishes .1 shot in front of Ferriter for the team-low stroke average (75.9).
Bucknell, Fordham, Hofstra, Iona, Lafayette, Lehigh, Manhattan, Monmouth, Rider, Siena, St. John’s and St. Peter’s.
t-1. Lehigh 297-312; 609
t-1. Bucknell 298-311; 609 * won in a playoff
3. Hofstra 307-304; 611
4. St. John’s 298-314-612
5 Fordham 302-312; 614
t-6. Monmouth 306-310; 616
t-6 Siena 304-312; 616
8. St. Peter’s 309-309; 618
9. Lafayette 304-315; 619
10. Iona 299-322; 621
11. Rider 315-307; 622
12. Manhattan 303-324; 627
Monmouth returns to action in the spring of 2017. Check back with MonmouthHawks.com for the squad’s full slate, which wraps up at the 2016 MAAC Championships which will take place April 21-23 at Disney’s Magnolia Golf Course.