TEAM EFFORT LEADS MEN’S GOLF TO FOURTH PLACE FINISH AT PEACOCK INVITATIONAL
Dates: April 11, 2017 [18 Holes]
Host: Saint Peter’s
Location: Neshanic Valley, NJ
Course: Neshanic Valley G.C
Course Vitals: Par-72, 7069-yard
Neshanic Valley, NJ – For the first time this season, all six Monmouth University men’s golfers scored in the 70s en route to an 18-hole total of 299 and a fourth place finish at the Peacock Invitational, held at the Neshanic Valley Golf Club.
Senior Tommy Whelan (Smithtown, NY/Smithtown West) along with freshmen Andy Stock (Danbury, CT/Danbury) and Nick Maff (Bethlehem, PA/Bethlehem Catholic), playing as an individual, led the way for the Blue and White each turning in one-over par 73, good for fourth overall. Senior Jesse Hazam (Mechanicsburg, PA/Mechanicsburg) navigated the course in 76 shots, one stroke in front of junior Kyle Burke (West Sayville, NY/Sayville [Sacred Heart]), while sophomore Drake Ferriter (Ramsey, NJ/Bergen Catholic) finished with 78 to close out the Hawks’ card.
NOTES & QUOTES
“It was a good showing by all six guys today and I am extremely pleased with the results. It was the first time we broke 300 in a long time and it certainly is a positive heading into the conference championships next week.” -Head Coach Dennis Shea
- Monmouth recorded its second best round of the season with its 299. The Hawks recorded 298 in the first round of the Mathews Auto Collegiate Invitational (10/2/16).
- Maff led the Hawks’ card for the first time in his career, while it was the second and third time for Whelan and Stock, respectively.
- Stock recorded his second top-five result of the season, while Whelan and Maff land in the top-five for the first time each.
- 17 of Drake Ferriter’s 19 rounds this season are in the 70s.
- The tournament featured 47 competitors which recorded an average score of 77.09. Five of the six Hawks were at or better than the average score.
Fairfield, Fairleigh Dickinson, Hofstra, Monmouth, Rider, Saint Francis NY, Saint Peters, Siena
1. Saint Peter’s 292
2. Rider 297
3. Fairfield 298
4. Monmouth 299
5. Siena 304
5. Hofstra 304
7. Saint Francis 311
8. FDU 0
Monmouth’s Card (# = individual):
t-4. Tommy Whelan 73
t-4. Andrew Stock 73
t-4. Nick Maff # 73
t-21. Jesse Hazam 76
t-28. Kyle Burke 77
t-33. Drake Ferriter 78
The Hawks will tee off in the first of three rounds of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Championships on Friday, April 21, 2017.