TRACK & FIELD FINISHES IN PROGRAM BEST THIRD PLACE AT ECAC CHAMPIONSHIPS
BOSTON- The Monmouth women’s indoor track and field team earned 48 points en route to a third place finish at the 2017 ECAC Division I Track & Field Championships- the best finish ever for the team.
The men’s team finished 12th out of 100 teams, marking the sixth straight year that MU men’s squad has finished inside the top-15 at the IC4As. The previous best finish for the women’s team was ninth place – achieved by last year’s team who had amassed 28 points.
Senior Tionna Garner (Trenton, NJ/Trenton Catholic) repeated as ECAC Champion in the 500m, crossing the tape in 1:10.78. Garner was the anchor of the gold medalist 4x800 relay, joining Brianna Stratz (Warrington, PA/Central Bucks South), Jenna Cupp (Newark Valley, NY/Newark Valley) and Chandi Piiru (East Orange, NJ/Union Catholic) with a time of 8:44.57. Cupp was second in the mile, finishing in 4:48.43.
Bryan Sosoo (Laurel, MD/Reservoir) was the men's top finisher of the weekend, claiming second place in the 60m with a time of 6.76. Andrew Tummino (River Edge, NJ/River Dell) earned All-East honors in the shot put with a throw of 53’ 9.75”. This was after a number of top-8 finishes yesterday by the men’s team that had them in third place at the end of the day.
NOTES AND QUOTES
“The women’s team did an amazing job. They were focused on big finishes and went to the wall for each other.” Head Coach Joe Compagni
“The men had six different events where we literally just missed the finals. If we have a group that takes that next step, they can be an excellent team.” Head Coach Joe Compagni
· The women’s DMR team of Leavitt, Amber Stratz, Orleans and McKeon earned bronze with a time of 11:43.51 – one of the top times in school history
· Mariah Hubbard’s eighth place finish in the triple jump (39’ 0.25”) earned her All-East honors and the top freshman spot at the event
· Piiru’s time of 1:13.64 in the 500m earns her fifth place and All-East honors
· The women’s 4x400 team of Coakley, Oslen, Miranda and Isekenegbe finished in eighth place – earning the quartet All-East honors
· Dan Gilligan finished in ninth place in the shot put
· There were 86 total ECAC teams there
· The women were in 14th place after day one of the championships
Today is the final event of the 2017 Indoor Track & Field season.